Director of Finance
The Center for Civil and Human Rights is a 42,000 square foot facility in the heart of downtown Atlanta located at Pemberton Place, adjacent to Centennial Olympic Park, The World of Coca-Cola and the Georgia Aquarium. The Center is an engaging cultural attraction that connects The American Civil Rights Movement to today’s Global Human Rights Movements. Please visit www.civilandhumanrights.org to learn more about The Center.
The Finance Director reports directly to the COO with some directions from the CEO, and will be responsible for maximizing the return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. Also, will assist the COO with all controllership, accounting and finance functions.
- Support and partner with COO & CEO
- Responsible for supporting the budget and capital plan; monitoring spending against budget
- Support the bookkeeping and records for all Center transactions and assets
- Track, review and reconciliation of past expenditures
- Work with development team to ensure the tracking of donations and contributions to the organization in donor tracking system and process donations for deposit and recognition.
- Verify that expenditures follow the policies of the organization for purchasing and travel and ensures that expenditures are recorded against the appropriate accounts and follow generally accepted accounting principles
- Verify the adequate budgeted funds are available for payments and may schedule the issuance of accounts payable checks
- Review detailed monthly expenditures reports for each department and account type, prepares adjusting entries as required and audits reports for coding error and duplicate payments.
- Assist in budgeting process and forecasting
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive set of internal controls
- Responsible for preparation of audits
- Responsible for cash management
- Produce regular and adhoc reporting as needed
- Responsible and assist with 990 filing
- Responsible for developing Financial dashboard for Board Members
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BA/BS in accounting, finance or relevant field
- Minimum of 5+years in finance-nonprofit or accounting
- Proven experience as director of finance or similar role
- In depth knowledge of nonprofit finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting
- Excellent organization and leadership skills
- Outstanding communications and interpersonal abilities
- An analytical mind with strategic ability
- QuickBooks, MS Office
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and bookkeeping principles and procedures
Include job title in the email subject field and last name (no phone calls please)
The following document must be attached to be considered for the role: